Wednesday 28 May 2014

SCAMS!!!!! MODELLING AGENCIES

This post is based on a personal experience
check this website out ; yinstyles.com

I've been approached several times by modelling agencies. Telling me I've got “THAT LOOK TO BE A MODEL”I wasn't really interested so I didn't take those opportunities.BUT now that I'm older I've realized I want to be linked to the fashion industry, so modelling is a good way for me to go about it. Especially because I have that LOOK
So I applied online to different companies and agencies.  All of them contacted me back, BUT  they were all very similar because they used the same manipulative, attractive and persuasive technic e.g. you're so beautiful, you have clear skin, you're so unique. You can model for River Island, Gucci and Gap if you take this seriously,After hearing it more than once I knew they just wanted my money.I did have some other agencies that may have been more serious as they would have paid for everything but just taken it back through the profit I would eventually make. Which is reasonable when you first start modelling and don't want to spend money. BUT what they offered wasn't as attractive as these other modelling companies/agencies …...
I thought I did my research on the company I decided to go for the test shoot with (Apple Models) I've realized whether they have good comments about the site or on the site that could be anyone who is working within the agency writing positive comments about the company, to make them look good. So I would personally say before you waste your money do your research PROPERLY!  Then go with an agency that is willing to pay for your portfolio.  
I have had a bad experience with a company called “Apple Models”. I personally think they are a scam as I tested it out with 3 other people I know to see if they would get the same feedback and they did
I got a phone call from someone called ''Emma''  she was so persuasive even though I have heard all the “you are beautiful talk” before she really made me believe I'm going to Model for Top brands if the test shoot with Metro photography went well. Which she apparently paid £450 to book a makeup artist, photographer and a stylist from vogue "for me".  Which I don't believe, as their was many people their when I went. Also if you look at my images my makeup wasn't brilliant to be honest and neither was the stylist. I could have personally done a better job. The only person I would say that helped me and made me believe in myself was the photographer who goes by the name of HORTA Anyways I paid a £50 deposit to confirm I'm attending the test shoot. Which is common with many companies to pay a deposit. This “Emma” lady said she booked it for me as she thinks I have potential but if it doesn't go well I shouldn't worry which is why I thought it might not be a scam as she said it may not go well, as for other companies they didn't  Anyways cut the long story short she sold me dreams(made me believe) everything is for me as “I'm special”  
My test shoot came I wasn't nervous even though I hadn't practiced any possess like Emma said I should. I didn't really like taking pictures as I'm not that confident believe it or not but the photographer built my confidence up  
After taking all my images I waited for them to review my images. I came back in an hour then had a meeting with a Lady called “Hannah” from metro photography (yet I don't seem to find her on the metro photography website) Anyways she was meant to tell me If I had made it or not. So she said I had got through I'm officially a model
Hannah said "I was the only one who had been picked out of the four that day"  apart from a little girl who was getting her assessment after mine. Hannah  also said “normally people only get 15 good shots to get through whereas GENESIS you got 56! this is the best we've had in 6 months. I would love to put this on our site” (My face when all of this I was shocked as I hate taking pictures I only did it as people always say they think they can see me as a Model.  My mum cried she thought the pictures were so nice and she didn't realize " how much I look  like her"I was smiling thinking yeah I'm going to be making moneyTHEN She dropped the bomb and showed us the prices of the portfolio it was £599 to about £2,000 THEN she said ''Apple Models have paid for your test shoot so you would need to pay for a Portfolio if you want to invest in yourself”I didn't say nothing because I knew I wasn't paying for it
 I looked at my mummy mum said “okay can I pay it off bit by bit and what is the best package. Hannah said ''The £2.000 or something” my mum said “is there any cheaper ones” Hannah said “£1.300  package would be best for you if you'r not looking to spend I would go with that one for genesis as she is just starting up''( My mums face was like)My mum said she doesn't have that right now to be spending. Hannah said “If you don't pay the £250 deposit today we have to delete all the images''. So my mum paid the deposit as she felt bad for me and she believed that Apple Models and Metro photography were legit My mum asked when I would be able to start working. Hannah said “contact Emma and also  you wont have your images and website till everything is paid” (WHICH MEANT I CLEARLY COULDN'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT MY IMAGES!) So my mum paid the rest the next day because she had to bearing in mind I can't have my images or my website built until she pays.
Hannah also told me I could be making between £250- £25,000 per shoot, she also said I should have 12 shoots minimum a month. Emma was meant to call me the day after to see if I got through and to tell me the next step, she didn't call also didn't pick up my calls. or respond to my emails:

Its been a month now and NO RESPOND STILL
(HOW PROFESSIONAL)



The website Hannah asked me to apply for in an email was Model Mayhem and Starnow.  To see some jobs and apply on them you have to pay monthly on those sites to be a VIP member . Plus I did freelance and some Models gave me advice and told me they didn't have to pay for a portfolio:
   
Some agents and Photographers also said I don't look very experienced based on my portfolio which means it's obviously not up to the standards it should be. But lucky for me I've built a network and photographers I don't even know are willing to help me:






 On top of all of that the same thing Hannah told me in my review she told two of my close friends but one of them didn't have the money and she told them she will keep the £50 deposit and he can pay the rest of his deposit in a week but he shouldn't tell apple models
Whereas she told me If I don't pay it today She will have to delete the images
. When I heard that I knew for sure Apple Models and Metro Photography most likely have some form of deal and probably both split the money, when it comes to test shoots. No matter the location of the company doesn't  mean  anything. Just because they have a studio in Piccadilly square doesn't mean they are  a trustworthy company if anything we are giving them more money to stay in that location. I'm just happy my friends didn't go through the same as I told them my experience and we put two and two together.
I feel as if my mum wasted her money and I wasted my time. As I could have paid two of my friends to do my makeup who would have done a fantastic job 

Next time I'm going to use my friends or even other peoples contacts and also build connections  to build my portfolio from now on rather than repeating the mistake I made. I still think it was a good experience despite everything. I personally would say apply for agencies that are willing to pay for your portfolio if you don't have the money or want to pay. Also don't give up if you have had a bad experience similar to me. There is way more to my story but I don't want to go on and on as you can see I can type for EnglandI still do Model but I worked hard and I  did a lot of research without the help of "Apple Models" I personally will only work for agencies as well as freelance I wouldn't waste my time on test shoots anymore.Being a model doesn't happen overnight. I might not be making 25,000 a day but I know I will soon.If you already have a portfolio and you feel as if it's not finding you jobs like I said get a photographer, stylist and a makeup artist you may know or anyone to take images and build up your portfolio yourself. There are many photographers, stylist and makeup artist who are willing to do free work to build up their portfolios also.  This would be good as you can actually present your own portfolio to agencies eventually. Nothings impossible.... Remember that. Don't give up your dreams I haven't.

 QUICK UPDATE 29/05/2014 17:16

After posting this blog I got a response from EmmaThe funny thing is she is still lying. She said she didn't receive my email yet it shows clearly on my inbox her responding to that email
 WHY LIE!












 .





 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment